Radiology Information system (RIS) is the core system for the electronic management of imaging departments.
The major functions of the RIS can include patient scheduling, resource management, examination performance tracking, examination interpretation, results distribution, and procedure billing. Radiology Information system complements HIS (hospital information systems) and PACS (picture archiving and communication system), and is critical to efficient workflow to radiology practices.
Radiological information systems commonly support the following features:
- Patient registration and scheduling
- Patient list management
- Modality interface using worklists
- Workflow management within a department of radiology
- Request and document scanning
- Result entry
- Digital reporting and paper-formatted export functionality
- Result transmission, including faxing and e-mailing of clinical reports
- Patient tracking
- Interactive documents
- Creation of technical files
- Modality and material management